These next 2 weeks are going to be great for theatre fans. And, in particular, those of us who like to watch theatre for free!
This week, we’ve had the Tony Awards, which have let us watch some great performances from shows on Broadway at the moment. And all in the comfort of our own home. For free! Plus for those of us on the other side of the pond, it may be our only chance to see some of them, unless they transfer *COUGH* PLEASE LET FUN HOME TRANSFER *COUGH*
And next week, you can watch performances from some of the shows on in the West End and, YES, all for free! And this is thanks to West End LIVE!
What is West End LIVE?
Organised by The Society of London Theatre and Westminster Council, West End LIVE is an annual theatrical celebration, showcasing some of the best shows currently on in *unsuprisingly* the West End! And guess what…IT’S FREE ENTRY!
When/where is West End LIVE?
From Saturday 20th to Sunday the 21st June, West End LIVE will be taking over Trafalgar Square. On Saturday, it’ll be 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and on Sunday, 12 noon to 6 p.m.
That gives you 2 whole days of theatre, yes 2 WHOLE DAYS! It is showcasing ALL that London theatre has to offer, so of course it can’t just be across one day!
Awesome! Who’s going to be performing?
Here’s a list of musicals confirmed to be appearing (and what I think they’ll be performing!)
- American Idiot– transferring from Broadway for only a few months, I think they’ll do a big number, like American Idiot or 21 Guns.
- Avenue Q– currently touring round the UK, they’ve got to go with a classic. I’m predicting ‘It sucks to be me’ or ‘Everyone’s a Little bit Racist’.
- Beautiful: The Carol King Musical– another relative newbie to the West End, I think they’ll perform either ‘Beautiful’ or ‘I feel the Earth Move’.
- Billy Elliot– crowd favourite (mainly because it’s been around for so long!), they’ve got to do either ‘Electricity’ or maybe ‘Solidarity’ for a big group number?
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory– haven’t seen this musical yet, but from ones they’ve performed on Royal Variety etc. I’d guess ‘Pure Imagination’ or if they don’t have a lift for that, ‘Vidiots’.
- The Commitments– so many great ones the crowd will know from this musical, and I reckon either ‘Mustang Sally’, ‘Think’ or ‘(I can’t get no) Satisfaction’.
- The Lion King– ‘Circle of Life’ or ‘Hakuna Matata’. Got to be!
- Dusty– recently opened and celebrating the journey of Dusty Springfield to stardom through her music, I think either ‘Son of a Preacher Man’ or ‘You Don’t Have to Say you Love Me’.
- Gypsy– STILL haven’t seen this…but hope they do ‘Some People’, ‘Together, Wherever We Go’, or ‘Rose’s Turn’.
- Jersey Boys– doing one’s the crowd young and old may know, ‘Oh what a Night’, ‘Can’t Take my Eyes off of You’ or ‘Beggin’
- Les Mis– come on…it’s got to be ‘One Day More’ or ‘Do You Hear the People Sing’. No question!
- Let it Be– I love The Beatles, so I’d be happy with any songs to be honest. But I think they’ll do ‘Come Together’, ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ or ‘All You Need is Love’.
- Mamma Mia– ‘Dancing Queen’ or ‘Take a Chance on Me’ or both!
- Matilda– again, from Royal Variety and Children in Need, they normally do a medley of ‘Naughty’, ‘Revolting Children’ and ‘When I Grow Up’.
- Memphis– haven’t seen this, but from what I’ve heard, maybe ‘Hello, My Name is Huey’ or ‘Make me Stronger’?
- The Phantom of the Opera– got to be either ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ or ‘The Music of the Night’
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers– this production by Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre opens in July, so they’re going to do something catchy/recognisable. ‘Bless Your Beautiful Hide’ or ‘Wonderful, Wonderful Day’ maybe?
- Sunny Afternoon– I think either the eponymous number, or ‘You Really Got Me’.
- Thriller Live– maybe a medley of ‘I Want You Back’, ‘Don’t Stop Till You Get Enough’ and ‘Thriller’.
- Wicked– CROWD FAVOURITE and dude…it’s got to be ‘Defying Gravity’, and perhaps ‘One Short Day’.
The full schedule of performances by musicals, plays and other shows should be released later today, so keep an eye out for that!
So one question remains:
WHY AREN’T YOU GOING?!
Seriously, this looks so much fun! I’m going to try and nip across after work, or get one of the days off! And be sure to check back here tomorrow, as I’ll be sharing my tips for the big weekend, including transport, timing and other things!