Whenever I go to the theatre, I have lots of thoughts racing through my head: what will it be like? Will I enjoy it? How are we gonna pay, how are we gonna pay, how are we gonna pay last year’s rent, this year’s rent, next year’s rent if I’m going to the theatre so often?
Tonight I’m going to see War Horse for the first time with one of my best friends, Jas! So I thought what better way for you all to get to know me, than by sharing with you those feelings that I (and probably you) commonly feel when going to the theatre, told in musical gifs!
When you arrive:
1) So excited! Seeing a show with one of my besties! Cannot wait to watch it!
2) Didn’t even have to queue to collect them from the box office. Mainly because I’m 40 minutes early. Because I’m super organised 🙂
3) Ah, well, in most ways. I’ve arrived 40 minutes early. But that’s 30 minutes before my friend arrives…
4) Just got a text from my friend- they got off at a different tube stop and need directions. You know how awful my sense of direction is. Oh my friend, my friend.
5) Okay, seriously, where are they?! We only have 20 minutes until it starts. And I read somewhere that apparently they start doing stuff on stage before the show starts.
6) THEY’RE HERE! ‘Have I been waiting long?’
7) In the seats! Let’s get this show on the road! Noooo, tall person, please don’t sit in front of me.
8) Hmmm, do I want a programme before it starts? £7, phhht, no thank you!
When the show starts:
9) Shit, should have brought a programme- who is that guy???
10) Don’t sing along, I know you’ve listened to the soundtrack on repeat but don’t sing alo- IT’S TIME TO TRUST MY INSTINCTS, CLOSE MY EYES…AND LEEEEEEEAP!
11) Oh, I think they’ve gotten rid of that character. And cut that song. And my favourite speech. Nope. No. No.
12) *Sigh* Got a serious case of manspreading on the left.
13) And my friend can see this too. This can only mean one thing. Synchronised middle finger salute.
14) Must be nearing the interval. Is it me, or is it gettin’ hot in here? Okay, try and take your jacket off quietly…stop rustling…stop rustling…this is so not working…fuck it.
15) And now I’m too cold. Jacket is going back on.
During the interval:
16) Right, 20 minute interval- that’s plenty of time to go to the loo, get some ice cream and get back to talk about thoughts and theories.
2 minutes before the second half starts:
17) HOW AM I STILL IN THIS QUEUE FOR THE LOOS? *End of interval bell rings*
When the second half starts:
18) Made it! Managed to announce my return in the most spectacular way: tripping on the stairs, and then stepping on everyone’s toes. But I don’t think anyone noticed…really…
19) I didn’t have time to get any ice-cream 😦 *Taps friend*
20) *Looks at watch* Wait…this is supposed to end at 10.30 and it’s 10.10. How is it all going to get resolved…?
21) *Looks at friend*
22) :O Noooooo!
23) It can’t end like that! Nope. No. NO.
After the show ends:
24) THAT WAS SO GOOD! SO SAD, BUT SO GOOD!
25) I want to watch it again. Can I go again? Please? No…why not? Oh right…
But come what may, I’m sure I’ll find a way- especially with some thrifty thinking 😉 Speaking of which, first batch of ‘Thrifty Tips and Tricks’ is coming Thursday so keep an eye out!